Recently Microsoft released Windows 11 22h2 in their release preview channel. This new update brings a lot of new features like drag-drop to the taskbar and other new options.
Now You can enable tabs in File Explorer.
So let’s check what you can exactly do with the Windows tab feature and how you can easily enable this feature on your Windows 11.
Windows tabs system simply means that you can browse or use Files Explorer just like how you use a web browser. So you don’t need to leave the current instance to open other folders or files.
This feature brings easier navigation through File Explorer and better handling of files in very little time. It will enable a new multi-tasking process. This feature was previously available for selected users only but anyway, now we can enable this option by going through some simple Steps.
Benefits Of Tabbed Navigation In Windows File Explorer
- Organization: Tabs allow you to have multiple file browsing sessions within the same window. This can help you better organize your workflow
- Time Efficiency: Tabbed browsing can save time, as you can quickly switch between folders without searching for and clicking on separate windows
- Ease of Management: You can easily manage and close tabs when you’re done with a particular task or project.
- Productivity: For users who frequently work with multiple folders and files, tabbed browsing can lead to increased productivity
- Efficiency: Having multiple File Explorer windows open simultaneously can consume more system resources, while tabbed browsing may be more efficient in terms of memory usage
How to Enable Tabs feature in Windows 11 File Explorer
Windows 11 new versions have this option but it’s hidden. So let’s check how to enable this by following below below-mentioned steps.
- You should be a member of the Windows Insider Program if not please join to Windows 11 Insider Program and sign up for the beta channel
- Now simply restart/ Reboot your system
- Now open the GitHub page and select the download page
- Download Vivetool
- Save the downloaded tool in an easily accessible folder
- Now select the zip file and right-click and click on extract file
- All files will be extracted to a folder
- Open the extracted folder and copy the folder path
- Now go to search and search for Command prompt (cmd) and open it with administrative privilege
- Type Cd and paste the folder path
- Press enter
- The command prompt will execute the path and it will automatically change the default path to the one you pasted
- Now enter the following commands one by one and restart your System
vivetool addconfig 39145991 2
vivetool addconfig 37634385 2
vivetool addconfig 36354489 2
That’s it you have successfully enabled the tabs feature in your file explorer. Now you can easily navigate between your files and folders.
Keep in mind that this feature is still in development so you may face some bugs.
Availability and functionality of tabbed browsing in Windows File Explorer may vary depending on the version of Windows you are using and any third-party software or add-ons you have installed. For Windows 11 the tabbed browsing is pre-enabled.
please let me know if you have any doubts in the comments section.